How do beets help fight cancer?

The rich red color of beets actually comes from the cancer-fighting antioxidant betalains. Betalains starve tumors and hinder cell division. Researchers have shown that adding a quarter cup of beets to your daily diet, about three or four beet slices, can reduce your kidney cancer risk.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Neal D. Barnard, MD
Psychiatry

The chemical that's responsible for the beet's vibrant color can also help prevent cancer, says nutrition specialist Dr. Neal Barnard. Find out more by watching this video.

Continue Learning about Cancer Prevention

How to Lower Your Cancer Risk Today
How to Lower Your Cancer Risk Today
Cancer rates around the world will skyrocket 57 percent in the next 20 years, according to a sobering new report from the World Health Organization. ...
Can eating tomatoes help prevent prostate and breast cancer?
The good news is that the cancers that we fear so much can be diminished substantially with a de...
Should I change my diet to control acrylamide levels?
Acrylamide levels in food vary widely depending on the manufacturer, the cooking time, and the metho...
5 Fruits and Veggies a Day Keep Cancer Away