When should I start doing regular testicular self-examinations (TSE)?

Mark S. Litwin, MD
Urology
Men should start doing self-examinations for testicular cancer at about age 17 or 18, when they're adults. They should continue until they are 40. Beyond age 40, the risk of testicular cancer goes down so much that doctors don’t feel self-examination is necessary.
Click the following link to see when and how to start doing your testicular self-exam: http://selfchec.org/main/self-checks/cancers/testicular-cancer/just scroll down to see the video and print how-to guide. Testicular cancer occurs in men of all ages but is the most common cancer among men aged 15-34. If you have a family history of testicular cancer, you should ask your doctor about starting your monthly self-checks and doctor visits at 15 years or even earlier.

Continue Learning about Testicular Cancer

Can I still have children if I have a testicle removed?
Mark S. Litwin, MDMark S. Litwin, MD
Most men who have a testicle removed are still able to have children.  You have two testicles. The r...
What is testicular cancer?
Cancer is cells in your body that grow abnormally and out of control. Eventually they form a mas...
What are the types of testicular cancers?
Mark S. Litwin, MDMark S. Litwin, MD
There are two types of testicular cancer: seminoma and non-seminoma. Non-seminoma testicular canc...
Is testicular cancer serious?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Yes. Testicular cancer, like all cancer is serious. Still, testicular cancer is one of the most cura...