What should I do if my doctor suspects I have cancer?

The first and of the most important step to take if you suspect cancer is to learn as much as you can about your condition. This is also the time to communicate closely with your doctor. Make sure he or she explains the needed tests and evaluations for your particular suspected cancer diagnosis, your treatment options if you already have a diagnosis, possible side effects, and the prognosis. If you want to seek a second opinion, know that this is always an option. Your doctor should have no problem with this choice and can help you with referrals to other cancer specialists.

Looking at your resources, the people around you who can help with anything from emotional support to transportation, is of particular importance at this time. Just as your doctor will help put a medical care team together with you, you can start putting the best personal team together.

Continue Learning about Cancer Diagnosis

5 Ways to Stay Emotionally Fit After a Cancer Diagnosis
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer many of the conversations and decisions that follow will focus on your physical health. But you also need to ca...
What is endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) used for?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Your doctor can use endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)—a medical procedure to examine the lining and the wa...
How is computed tomography used in cancer?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Computed tomography is used in several ways: To detect or confirm the presence of a tumorTo provide...
How Can We Improve Cancer Survival Rates?