What should I do if I am diagnosed with invasive cancer?

If you have invasive cancer, you should take the time to discuss all of your options. Your tumor may be very low risk, in which less treatment can be safe. If your doctor cannot tell you about the risk, ask about molecular tests such as MammaPrint or oncotype Dx as the results may make a big difference in helping you decide which treatments may be right for you. While breast cancer treatment often starts with surgery, sometimes it is better not to. If your tumor is on the large side, you should ask about starting first with the treatments that affect your whole body (hormone therapy or chemotherapy) as they may shrink your tumor, help you learn about how effective the treatments are, and change the type of surgery you need. There are also many opportunities for clinical trials. 

Continue Learning about Cancer Diagnosis

5 Ways to Stay Emotionally Fit After a Cancer Diagnosis
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer many of the conversations and decisions that follow will focus on your physical health. But you also need to ca...
Should I go for a second opinion if my child is given a poor prognosis?
Steven V. Gurland, MDSteven V. Gurland, MD
Getting a second opinion when given a poor prognosis is very important both for the patient , the pa...
Can only adults get cancer?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Anyone can get cancer. Although it mainly occurs in adults, young people and children, and even babi...
War on Cancer
War on Cancer