At what point after swallowing does food become a calorie?

Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness
Before you swallowed the food, it contained a number of calories or what we call potential energy measured in calories. Not until the food is broken down in your digestive tract and then absorbed into the body does it become something your body can use for energy. So - it becomes a useful calorie to your body after absorption. And almost all food you eat gets absorbed, so you can pretty much count the calories from the food you eat as the calories in your body

Continue Learning about Calories

This Nut Has Fewer Calories Than You Think
Even though nuts are brimming with excellent nutrition, sometimes you shy away because of the calories. But here's a nut that may have fewer calories ...
How many calories can I burn raking leaves?
Sari GreavesSari Greaves
In October, enjoy the splendor of the season and burn calories by raking up those fallen leaves!...
How many calories do I burn working out with weights?
Depending on your intensity, working out with weights can help you burn between 234 and 413 calo...
Walking vs. Running: Which Burns More Calories?