Is it important to track calories?

If your goal is to lose weight (or gain weight), yes it's important. It is very easy to underestimate the amount of calories we consume each day. Underestimating by 300 calories per day would total 9,000 calories in one month. That 9,000 calories would equate to approximately 2.5 pounds! 

Calorie tracking can be a great way to help keep yourself on course and if you track as you go through your day (rather than wait until the end of the day) you have the chance to make any necessary corrections to still stay within your daily goal.
Keri Glassman, MS, RD
It's more important to listen to your body and eat real foods than track your calories. Watch me explain why whole foods are best, and how different types of calories can function differently in the body. 

Continue Learning about Calories

This Nut Has Fewer Calories Than You Think
Even though nuts are brimming with excellent nutrition, sometimes you shy away because of the calories. But here's a nut that may have fewer calories ...
How do low-viscosity, high-calorie foods affect my body?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
In addition to being low in volume for the amount of calories they contain, typical foods in the wes...
Are nuts high in calories?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
Nuts weigh in at about 150 to 200 calories per ounce. Yes, that's high, but we recommend only about ...
How Can I Cut Calories from Condiments?
How Can I Cut Calories from Condiments?