Why should I vary my calorie intake if I want to lose weight?

Once your body gets used to consuming the same amount of calories every day, your weight loss naturally levels off to match what you burn. For example, your body simply adapts to 1,800 calories and stops slimming down.

To keep your body working hard at shedding those pounds, vary your caloric intake. Consume 1,800 calories one day, then reduce it to 1,600 calories the next day and up to 1,700 the following day. Keep this pattern going and your body will have to exert more energy to make adjustments, which can trigger bigger weight loss.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Calorie Restriction and Weight Loss

Calorie Restriction and Weight Loss

Calorie Restriction and Weight Loss

It's important to recognize the role calories play in your ability to lose weight. Varying your caloric intake on a daily basis forces the body to use more energy, thus jump-starting weight loss. Calorie needs also vary from perso...

n to person, so it's hard to pinpoint a specific number of calories to cut while on a diet. The key is not to kick your body into starvation mode by making a drastic cut to calories. Be mindful of nutrition and make small changes instead, like choosing light beer, thin crust on your pizza and fruit over candy on top of frozen yogurt. It's all about healthy eating, not starvation.