What are common characteristics of persons with bulimia?

Most people with eating disorders share certain personality traits and use abnormal eating rituals as a means of handling stress and anxiety. These personality traits often include, but are not limited to, the following:

• low self-esteem
  • feelings of helplessness
  • fear of becoming fat

People with bulimia (and binge eating disorder) typically consume huge amounts of food - often junk food - to reduce stress and relieve anxiety. With binge eating, however, comes guilt and depression.

• Purging brings relief that is only temporary.
  • Individuals with bulimia are usually impulsive and more likely to engage in risky behaviors such as abuse of alcohol and drugs.

Continue Learning about Bulimia

How Can I Help My Bulimic Teen?
How Can I Help My Bulimic Teen?