What is a shoulder fracture?

A shoulder fracture is a break in any of the bones that make up the shoulder. These include the humerus (upper arm), scapula (shoulder blade) and the clavicle (collarbone). Fractures in these bones are usually caused by a direct hit (such as in sports or a car accident) or by a fall. Symptoms of a broken shoulder include severe pain, bruising and redness. The bones may also look like they are out of line. Treatment involves resetting the bones and limiting movement with a sling. Depending on the type of break and which bones are affected, surgery may also be needed.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

What are the treatment options for a closed fracture?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
A closed fracture may be treated with a immobilization with a splint and/or cast. Depending on the l...
What is the first step in bone fracture recovery?
Dr. David M. Slovik, MDDr. David M. Slovik, MD
Breaking a bone is often painful and frightening. Recovery can take months, and a break can threaten...
What kind of doctor should I see if I have a bone fracture?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
Not every broken bone requires a fracture specialist or orthopedic trauma specialist, but many do. I...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?