What is a shoulder fracture?

A shoulder fracture is a break in any of the bones that make up the shoulder. These include the humerus (upper arm), scapula (shoulder blade) and the clavicle (collarbone). Fractures in these bones are usually caused by a direct hit (such as in sports or a car accident) or by a fall. Symptoms of a broken shoulder include severe pain, bruising and redness. The bones may also look like they are out of line. Treatment involves resetting the bones and limiting movement with a sling. Depending on the type of break and which bones are affected, surgery may also be needed.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

What causes a vertebral compression fracture?
Dr. Peter B. Hathaway, MDDr. Peter B. Hathaway, MD
The main risk factor for a vertebral compression fracture is osteoporosis, so the people who have ve...
How do I know if I have broken a bone in my foot?
Dr. James P. Ioli, DPMDr. James P. Ioli, DPM
You'll need an foot x-ray to tell for sure whether you've broken or fractured a bone in your foot, b...
What causes an open (compound) fracture?
There may be many causes and risks for an open fracture. A simple fall may cause an open fracture  a...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?