What is a closed fracture?

A closed fracture occurs when there is no break in the skin.

Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicologist

A closed fracture is an injury where a bone is broken but the overlying skin is intact.

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

A closed fracture is a break in the bone where the skin is not broken.

A closed fracture is a break or crack in the bone that does not come through the skin but sometimes causes injury to tissues in the area. A closed fracture can vary in severity, depending on what bone is affected and how large the crack or break is. Because the skin is not opened in a closed fracture, the risk of infection or complications from exposure to the air is lower.

In a closed fracture the skin is not broken. Closed fractures are more common than open fractures.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

How can I manage pain from a rib fracture?
Alaska Regional HospitalAlaska Regional Hospital
You can manage pain from a rib fracture with NSAIDs, medications, or epidural catheters.
What kind of doctor should I see if I have a bone fracture?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
Not every broken bone requires a fracture specialist or orthopedic trauma specialist, but many do. I...
What are the treatment options for a closed fracture?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
A closed fracture may be treated with a immobilization with a splint and/or cast. Depending on the l...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?