What kind of doctor should I see if I have a bone fracture?

Not every broken bone requires a fracture specialist or orthopedic trauma specialist, but many do. Increasingly, research shows that people do better long-term, have better functional results, return to work at a better rate and have fewer complications when the doctor who takes care of them is a specialist. Increasingly in the United States, the trend is to have most fractures cared for by orthopedic surgeons with specialized training.

That doesn't mean that many basic fractures should not be treated by general orthopedists and on-call surgeons. However, you should educate yourself regarding your options and seek out healthcare professionals who will offer the best outcome for your injury.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

What is an open (compound) fracture?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
An open fracture is a fracture where the broken bone has penetrated the skin and is exposed to the o...
What is the long-term prognosis for patients with hip fractures?
Fred C. Redfern, MDFred C. Redfern, MD
The long-term prognosis for hip fractures has changed dramatically, says Fred Redfern, MD, an orthop...
How should I sign a cast?
Laurel J. Benson, MDLaurel J. Benson, MD
Use an indelible, waterproof marker when signing a cast, says orthopedic surgeon Laurel Benson, MD, ...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?