How is a closed fracture diagnosed?

A closed fracture is usually diagnosed through a simple x-ray, which can help the doctor locate the specific location of the crack or break. The x-ray will also allow the doctor to examine the severity of the injury and make the proper plans for treatment. A CT scan may also be used to view the injury more closely.

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

A closed fracture is diagnosed by a history, physical examination and x-ray.

Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicologist

A closed fracture is suspected based on the history of events that a patient relates to the doctor. A physical exam and x-ray usually confirm the diagnosis. Less often other radiological tests may be required to confirm the presence of the fracture.

A closed fracture is diagnosed with an x-ray. X-rays take pictures of the bones, and doctors can use the x-rays to look for fractures. Once the doctors know it’s a fracture, they can start treatment.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

What is the most common cause of bone fractures among older adults?
SAGESAGE
Falls are the leading cause for emergency room (ER) visits and overnight hospital stays for adults 6...
What is the first step in bone fracture recovery?
Dr. David M. Slovik, MDDr. David M. Slovik, MD
Breaking a bone is often painful and frightening. Recovery can take months, and a break can threaten...
How can I tell if I've fractured my elbow?
Dr. Devon M. Jeffcoat, MDDr. Devon M. Jeffcoat, MD
You may have fractured your elbow if you’ve had a fall on an outstretched hand or a direct injury to...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?