Are there other fractures besides tranverse fractures?

A tranverse fracture is a clean, straight break in the bone. However, it is only one type of fracture. An open fracture, also called a compound fracture, is one that punctures the skin and requires immediate attention to avoid infection. Two other types of fractures, called the comminuted and displaced fractures, often require surgery. A comminuted fracture is when the bone breaks in more than one place. A displaced fracture is when the pieces of bone on either side of the break do not line up.

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine

A transverse fracture is only one type of fractures.  Other fractures include:

1.  Closed or simple fracture - the bone is broken but does not puncture the skin. 

2.  Open or compound fracture - the bone is broken and punctures the skin.  The bone may or may not be visible at the punctured site.

3.  Comminuted fracture - The fracture is in three or more bone fragments.

4.  Greenstick fracture - the fracture is only on one side of the bone.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

Are there other fractures besides oblique fractures?
An oblique fracture is one in which the bone break diagonally, but it is only one type of fracture. ...
What is a stress fracture?
American Chiropractic AssociationAmerican Chiropractic Association
A stress fracture occurs when an abnormal amount of stress is placed on a normal bone, such as when ...
What should I do if I fracture my foot or ankle bone?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
Someone with a foot or ankle injury should immediately go to the emergency room as there is a narrow...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?