Which bones do children commonly break?

Common broken bones include: collarbones and wrists, from falls and bracing for falls; fingers, from being slammed in doors; and toes. The most common orthopedic injury in kids under two is called nursemaid's elbow, in which the elbow gets tugged out of its socket by a caregiver holding a child's hand and yanking the elbow. ("Hurry across the street, dear.") This injury is not a fracture, but it sure can mimic one in the way that the child holds her arm—as if it's in a sling—and won't use it.

YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

What is the Salter-Harris classification for broken bones in children?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The Salter-Harris classification is used by physicians to help determine the extent of a growth plat...
How will my child's cast be removed?
Roger Saldana, MDRoger Saldana, MD
Your doctor will use special tools to safely remove your child’s cast. A cast should always be remov...
How is a wrist fracture treated in children?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
A broken wrist, or wrist fracture, in a child is generally treated with casting. In some situations,...
What should I know about caring for my child's cast?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
Keep it Elevated - If your child has a cast, it's important to keep it elevated. The more you can he...