What should I know about the pins in my child's broken bone?

Children may get an infection where the pin enters the skin. The infected area will be red and painful, and you may notice pus. You should call your doctor if you see any signs of infection.

Pain and discomfort are often concerns during pin care, especially at the beginning. Your child's doctor may prescribe a pain medicine. If not, ask your doctor what you can use. Try to give your child pain medicines 30 to 60 minutes before you begin pin care. This will help your child be more comfortable during the procedure.

Children are often anxious during pin care. You can help your child relax by showing her what you are doing and talking calmly with her. Allow her to help as much as possible.

Talk with your doctor about whether your child can swim or bathe with her pins.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

How should I protect my child’s skin from irritation from a cast?
Michael E. Raemisch, MDMichael E. Raemisch, MD
There are ways to protect your child’s skin from getting irritated: • During the first 24 hours a...
What is a wrist fracture in children?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
It might sound strange to define "children," but in the world of orthopedics, a "child" is someone w...
Which bones do children commonly break?
Common broken bones include: collarbones and wrists, from falls and bracing for falls; fingers, from...
Will my child need physical therapy after a cast is removed?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Children usually do not require physical therapy after a cast or splint is removed. The area that wa...