What should I know about the pins in my child's broken bone?

Children may get an infection where the pin enters the skin. The infected area will be red and painful, and you may notice pus. You should call your doctor if you see any signs of infection.

Pain and discomfort are often concerns during pin care, especially at the beginning. Your child's doctor may prescribe a pain medicine. If not, ask your doctor what you can use. Try to give your child pain medicines 30 to 60 minutes before you begin pin care. This will help your child be more comfortable during the procedure.

Children are often anxious during pin care. You can help your child relax by showing her what you are doing and talking calmly with her. Allow her to help as much as possible.

Talk with your doctor about whether your child can swim or bathe with her pins.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

How do I take care of my child when his or her cast is itching?
If your child has itching from a cast, turn a hair dryer on the cool setting and aim it under the ca...
How is a fracture detected in a very young child?
Agueda Hernandez, MDAgueda Hernandez, MD
A bone displacement sometimes is not obvious because of the soft tissue there in the area. Some of t...
How will my child's cast be removed?
Roger Saldana, MDRoger Saldana, MD
Your doctor will use special tools to safely remove your child’s cast. A cast should always be remov...
What should I know about caring for my child's cast?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
Keep it Elevated - If your child has a cast, it's important to keep it elevated. The more you can he...