When is the best time to breast pump?

Charles I. Schwartz, MD
Pediatrics

A mother can pump the first day after birth if she desires. It is best to discuss this with your pediatrician if it is necessary.

The best time to pump an extra bottle is shortly after your baby's first feeding of the day, as most women have plentiful milk in the morning. Even though the actual pumping is initially an uncomfortable experience, know these guidelines: You can store breast milk at room temperature for 4 to 8 hours, for a day in an insulated cooler, for about a week in the fridge (mark the date you pumped on any bottles you store), and up to 3 months in the freezer. I recommend you use glass storage bottles, especially when freezing, because plastic ones may leach the endocrine disruptor bisphenol-A. Also, do not store milk in plastic bottle-insert bags, as they are porous and will increase the chance of your milk going rancid.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...