When is the best time to breast pump?

The best time to pump an extra bottle is shortly after your baby's first feeding of the day, as most women have plentiful milk in the morning. Even though the actual pumping is initially an uncomfortable experience, know these guidelines: You can store breast milk at room temperature for 4 to 8 hours, for a day in an insulated cooler, for about a week in the fridge (mark the date you pumped on any bottles you store), and up to 3 months in the freezer. I recommend you use glass storage bottles, especially when freezing, because plastic ones may leach the endocrine disruptor bisphenol-A. Also, do not store milk in plastic bottle-insert bags, as they are porous and will increase the chance of your milk going rancid.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...
Charles I. Schwartz, MD
Pediatrics

A mother can pump the first day after birth if she desires. It is best to discuss this with your pediatrician if it is necessary.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Breastfeeding and the Workplace
Breastfeeding and the Workplace
“Pumping Up with Hans and Franz” was a much-loved sketch with Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon that debuted on Saturday Night Live in 1987. The duo often ...
What should I know about breastfeeding during pregnancy?
Margaret L. McKenzie, MDMargaret L. McKenzie, MD
Breastfeeding takes nutrition away from your new pregnancy. Watch this video to learn what you s...
What should I consider when deciding whether to breastfeed?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Besides the health benefits for your baby, other factors may also affect your decision to begin or...
6 Ways That Show How Breastfeeding Benefits Mom's Health