Is it normal for women to feel sexually aroused while nursing?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
Many people are aware that when women are breastfeeding, they experience contraction of their uterus that can vary in intensity from pleasurable to painful. The body achieves this through the hormone oxytocin, which is released when the breasts and nipples are stimulated. This can alarm some women who find themselves feeling sexually aroused while nursing, but it is a natural phenomenon that is not dependent on erotic thought.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Ask Dr. Darria: Breastfeeding Has Become Painful. What Can I Do?
I want to breastfeed my baby, but my nipples have become sore and I’m starting to dread nursing her. I thought this was supposed to be a positive, bon...
How frequently should I breastfeed my baby?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
By three to four days old, your baby should feed eight to 12 times in 24 hours or on demand. Som...
How can breastfeeding affect my child's weight?
Statistics from a 2013 report showed that more mothers have been trying to breastfeed their children...
Is Breastfeeding Impossible After Breast Augmentation Surgery?