How does breastfeeding affect a woman’s vaginal lubrication?

Hilda Y. Hutcherson, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Because levels of the hormone estrogen drop during breastfeeding, you may no­tice that your vagina is dry and doesn’t lubricate as well as it should for comfortable sex. Invest in a good water-based lubricant with vitamin E and aloe, like K-Y Brand SILK-E to add moisture to dry vaginal tissues, thus enhancing comfort.

The Good in Bed Guide to Sex and the Baby Years

Available at a substantial discount for a limited time only, thanks to support from K-Y(R) Brand!Once you get down to the business of baby-making, the advice will pour in: books, magazines, in-laws,...

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Can I breastfeed my baby if I have the flu?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
You can breastfeed your baby if you have the flu, just be careful. By touching and holding your baby...
How can I avoid bruised or cracked nipples while breastfeeding?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
A breastfeeding mother never should experience blisters, bruising, or cracks on her nipples. Thi...
How should I use a breast pump?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
When using a breast pump:       • Wash your hands before pumping.       • Pump until your flow of ...
How will I know if my baby is getting enough milk when using a shield?
To be sure your baby is getting enough breast milk while using the shield, your baby’s doctor must...