Why do breast-fed babies poop more than bottle-fed babies?

Charles I. Schwartz, MD
Pediatrics

Initially breastfed babies will have small, frequent bowel movements in the first few weeks of life. It is common for breastfed infants after a few weeks to slow down to daily to every few days for bowel movements. 

Breast-fed babies tend to make more poops than formula-fed ones: two to five a day, maybe even after every feeding, compared to one or two a day for formula-fed infants. Why? Breast milk contains immunoglobulins, substances produced by the body's immune system, which also work as natural laxatives. This is especially helpful for clearing meconium, while also contributing to frequent pooping and a lack of constipation in nursing babies. These poops tend to be less smelly than poops from kids drinking formula; nature's way of saying thank you, perhaps, for using breast milk. But breast-fed babies may vary their patterns; what you eat and drink gets passed along in the milk, and that may or may not agree with your child.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Breastfeeding: Benefits for Both Baby and Mom
News reports pop up frequently about cultural expectations coming into conflict with m...
What should I eat while breastfeeding?
For the most part, breastfeeding mothers may eat any type of diet they choose without altering the n...
Can I breastfeed if I am a vegetarian?
Nilima DesaiNilima Desai
Yes, absolutely! Breastfeeding is considered the Gold standard of nourishment for your baby. Make su...
Breastfeeding Provides Ideal Nutrition for Babies