Why do breast-fed babies poop more than bottle-fed babies?

Breast-fed babies tend to make more poops than formula-fed ones: two to five a day, maybe even after every feeding, compared to one or two a day for formula-fed infants. Why? Breast milk contains immunoglobulins, substances produced by the body's immune system, which also work as natural laxatives. This is especially helpful for clearing meconium, while also contributing to frequent pooping and a lack of constipation in nursing babies. These poops tend to be less smelly than poops from kids drinking formula; nature's way of saying thank you, perhaps, for using breast milk. But breast-fed babies may vary their patterns; what you eat and drink gets passed along in the milk, and that may or may not agree with your child.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

How can I learn to breastfeed without a nipple shield?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Following are some tips to transition away from using a nipple shield.Try nursing without the shie...
How can I avoid bruised or cracked nipples while breastfeeding?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
A breastfeeding mother never should experience blisters, bruising, or cracks on her nipples. Thi...
How can I increase my milk supply when breastfeeding?
Jeanne LongbottomJeanne Longbottom
The best way to care for your baby is to care for your baby’s mother. Rest with your baby. Eat nutri...
8 Moms Talk About What It’s Really Like to Breastfeed
8 Moms Talk About What It’s Really Like to Breastfeed8 Moms Talk About What It’s Really Like to Breastfeed8 Moms Talk About What It’s Really Like to Breastfeed8 Moms Talk About What It’s Really Like to Breastfeed
Nursing isn’t quite as simple as you might think. Most moms-to-be are told this familiar mantra during their pregnancy—breast is best. The American A...