What is "daddy brain"?

Believe it or not, there is a very real thing called "daddy brain": Expectant dads go through hormonal and brain changes that roughly parallel those of their pregnant mates; it's why there are such phenomena as sympathy weight gain and sympathy pregnancy. (Prolactin increases 20 percent in dads in the weeks before birth, and the stress hormone cortisol doubles in dads during pregnancy. Even testosterone dips after birth, allowing the male brain to let down its ultra-male guard and be receptive to bonding.)

While men have little control over the physical course of their partners' pregnancies, they do harbor a lot of emotions about pregnancy and fatherhood, and thus need to be involved and invested.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Brain Health

Let Your Mind Wander for a Healthier Brain
You might think of daydreaming as a slacker habit, but it turns out that it's good for your brain. So let your mind wander a little bit today. Zoning...
What is brain death?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Brain death is irreversible loss of brain and brainstem function and is equivalent to legal death. I...
4 Foods Your Brain Will Love
4 Foods Your Brain Will Love4 Foods Your Brain Will Love4 Foods Your Brain Will Love4 Foods Your Brain Will Love
Nourish your noggin for stronger brainpower.
What Applications Can Help Someone with Memory Problems?