Is there a difference between the male and female brain?

Because it has more testosterone, the male fetus is typically three weeks behind the female fetus neurologically at birth (this early testosterone poisoning does come in handy later because it helps some coordination neurons develop better, thus making males better at catching moving objects like animal prey and baseballs).

Nature and evolution have given females this advantage in early brain development so that they're more likely to survive if born prematurely, as their childbearing potential makes women more valuable to a society than men.

Given this, nature doesn't have to as meticulous in making the male brain as it does in creating the female brain - meaning that there's a wider variety of ups and downs during boys' brain creation. Nature, in effect, can roll the dice more during male brain development - and sometimes that means the results are better and sometimes they're worse. This variability can manifest itself in more autism and a broader intellectual curve.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Brain Health

What Excites You the Most About the Future of Brain Research?
What Is the Target Audience for Brain Fitness Games?
How Does Normal Aging Affect Memory?
How Does Normal Aging Affect Memory?
What Challenges Are There for the Future of Brain Health Science?