Can bowlegs be prevented?

Up until 24 months of age, bowlegs are seen as part of normal development. Bowlegs start in the uterus because of the folded fetal position the infant must maintain in the womb. Sufficient amounts of vitamin D through sunshine or diet will prevent the occurrence of rickets, a cause of abnormal bowlegs. If a child breaks a leg bone, making sure the fracture is properly set will prevent bowlegs from occurring because of an improperly healed bone break. In the case of conditions such as Blount's disease (abnormal growth of the tibia bone) or genetic bone growth abnormalities, the cause is unknown or unpreventable.

Continue Learning about Bowlegs

How can being bow-legged affect my child's health?
Bow-leggedness is a deformity that is often outgrown as the child with bow legs ages. In this video,...
How do I manage my child's bowlegs on a daily basis?
Bowlegs are part of normal development up until age three and typically self-correct with time. If t...
How do medications treat bowlegs?
If bowlegs do not correct themselves by the age of three or four, medical intervention may be recomm...
How are bowlegs diagnosed?
While lying down or standing, the child's legs and knees are examined by a doctor. The doctor uses a...