How long do Botox injections for wrinkles last?

Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology
In most patients having botulinum toxin A injections for cosmetic purposes the results last three to four months. This is because the nerves that are inactivated by the medication eventually grow back. One of the best things about this cosmetic treatment is that over time it seems to last a little longer.  So for those who are diligent about keeping up with their injections, they will actually need them less frequently over time.
Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
On average, Botox lasts about 4 months, and then, within 2 weeks, your scowl returns with a vengeance. So, I certainly recommend "dosing up" just before the effect dissipates.

You'll be happy to hear that a new study has found that if you use Botox every 4 months for 2 years, the muscles weaken so much that they begin to take longer to recover. And so after 2 years, most people can lengthen the time between injections to 6 months. And while there isn't any data yet, my bet is that when you hit 4 or 5 years of continuous Botox, that wrinkle-killing drug will last nearly a year.

Continue Learning about Botox Injections

How does Botox work?
Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) works by reducing muscle activity by blocking the nerve impulses that cau...
How safe is Botox?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Botox is the most highly studied and published drug available today. Since its FDA approval 25 years...
How Does Botox Work?
How Does Botox Work?
Why Is Botox Popular for Removing Wrinkles?