What are some natural ways that I can take care of my joints?

Natural means of taking care of your back and joints include the following:

• daily stretching
  • proper lifting
  • proper diet
  • weight management
  • natural anti-inflammatory medications
Dr. Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

As we age, our joints begin to manifest the wear and tear we have put them through over the years. I recommend you take up tai chi as a regular daily activity; it is a moderate but very energizing exercise. Tai chi comes in many forms, and a daily practice of 30 minutes can help retain the flexibility of the joints, lubricate them and help strengthen the muscles and tendons surrounding the joints. There are also many herbal and acupuncture remedies in the traditional Chinese Materia Medica (Chinese herbal database), which can be adjunct to support your joints. I suggest consulting a licensed acupuncturist/herbalist to obtain a specific prescription.

Continue Learning about Joint Health

Two Simple Ways to Take Care of Your Feet
In Oh, The Places You’ll Go! Dr. Seuss writes, “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you...
What is a herniated lumbar disc?
Southern Hills HospitalSouthern Hills Hospital
A lumbar herniated disc is a disruption in the lining or a leak of the disc, in the lumbar area of t...
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
Improve your range of motion and ease aches with these hand exercises.
Does Osteoarthritis Occur Automatically as We Age?