What can I do for tendonitis?

Tendonitis is defined as a small (microscopic) tears of the muscle's attachment to the bone (known as the tendon). Tendonitis is a common injury in active people that can occur in almost any muscle in the body. Typically, it is seen in the muscles that are repeatedly used and stressed with exercising. The most common places for tendonitis are the biceps and the patellar tendon of the knee. The condition is usually treated by avoiding the exercises or activities that cause pain in order to allow the small tears to heal. Perform a well-rounded flexibility program that includes foam rolling and static stretching of the body part that is affected. Use low weights and high repetitions to slowly build back strength to the muscle. To treat tendonitis, first foam roll the body parts above and below the affected joint. Foam rolling is a form of self-massage that can help relax tight muscles before you stretch them. Hold the tender spots for 30 seconds to give the muscle enough time to relax. Then you can statically stretch the muscles that surround the affected joint . Hold the stretch for 30 seconds so that you muscle has time to elongate. Next, perform strengthening exercises for the muscle using little resistance, or weight, and high repetitions to slowly build back strength to the muscle.

Continue Learning about Joint Health

Imagine Dragons’ Dan Reynolds Opens Up About His Health Battle
Dan Reynolds endured chronic pain and stiffness for about five years before he was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) in his early 20s. It too...
10 Foods Your Joints Love
10 Foods Your Joints Love10 Foods Your Joints Love10 Foods Your Joints Love10 Foods Your Joints Love
Add these to a healthy diet to help prevent and soothe joint pain. Can specific foods nourish healthy joints? Maybe, but the research linking food to ...
How Can I Relieve Chronic Pain from Conditions Like Fibromyalgia?
Relieve Neck Pain
Relieve Neck Pain