What are the side effects of medications that treat ankylosing spondylitis?

Some of the side effects of medications that treat ankylosing spondylitis include upset stomach. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs for short, can upset the stomach. If this side effect occurs, doctors will switch to another type of NSAID or they will prescribe a medicine to protect the stomach. Biologics, another medication for ankylosing spondylitis, can sometimes cause skin soreness around the injection site. They can also make infections more likely.

Continue Learning about Joint Health

Tell Me Why My Joints Pop
Tell Me Why My Joints Pop
Joints—you forget you have them until you bend your knees and sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies –-snap, crackle and pop! So why do joints pop? The an...
Can biologics cure ankylosing spondylitis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Biologics cannot cure ankylosing spondylitis. Biologics block the messages sent telling the immune s...
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
Improve your range of motion and ease aches with these hand exercises.
Can an Anti-Inflammatory Diet Help Ease RA?