When should I take my child to the emergency room (ER) for a bone injury?

Medical City Dallas
Orthopedic Surgery
When it comes to children and bone injuries, if a parent is concerned enough that they think their child may need emergency room (ER) treatment, they should take their child to the ER. That being said, there are some things that can help parents make a decision if they are on the fence.

These are signs that your child definitely needs to go to the ER:
  • a bone is sticking out of the skin
  • an arm or a leg is crooked; the bone needs to be set back into position
  • a hand or foot is numb, blue or so swollen that the child can't move her fingers or toes
Most injuries don't require urgent intervention. If a child falls and the wrist is sore over the bone and it's a bit swollen but the child can move everything and the bone is not flopping around, that  kind of injury can usually wait. Call your pediatrician and describe the injury and symptoms. That may save a trip to the ER.

Again, if a parent is concerned enough that the little radar in their head is going off that they should go to the ER, then that's probably a good thing to listen to.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

4 Proven Ways to Control Pain After Surgery
More than one million Americans undergo a total hip or total knee replacement each year.  Because both surgical procedures typically involve weeks of ...
What kinds of sports or exercise can I do after joint replacement surgery?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
After joint replacement surgery, stick to low-impact sports and exercise activities, avoiding high-i...
What orthopedic injuries can I treat at home?
Bruises and sprains are common orthopedic injuries you can treat at home. The treatment has an acron...
3 Steps to Prevent Knee Pain When You Run