What makes a synovial joint move smoothly?

There are three things that make a synovial joint move smoothly: the capsule, the synovial membrane and the cartilage. All the parts work together to make the bones slide over each other easily instead of banging and rubbing.

• The capsule’s job is to hold the bones in the right positions so the joint can move properly.
  • Synovial joints have synovial membranes that make fluid. Synovial fluid makes it easier for the joints to move.
  • Cartilage covers the ends of the bones and cushions them like a shock absorber. This means the joints can handle impact.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

What is hip retroversion?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Hip retroversion occurs when the head and neck of the femur sit further backward than the lower ...
What happens when there's bleeding in the joints?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Bleeding in joints, like the knee, means that blood builds up, causing problems. When this happens, ...
Signs of Osteoarthritis: Stiffness, Pain, Swelling in Joints
Why Does My Knee Hurt When I Climb Stairs?