How can I tell if I have a hip problem?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy

The symptoms of a forward-gliding femur can be felt in the front, back, and side of the hip. In the front, groin pain will be felt that may be diagnosed as a tight hip-flexor muscle or groin pull. This also may impinge, or pinch, the labrum of the hip socket. Traditional stretching of the hip flexors will only make the pain worse because this pushes the head of the femur further forward, which causes more irritation.

Fixing You: Hip & Knee Pain: Self-treatment for IT band friction, arthritis, groin pain, bursitis, knee pain, PFS, AKPS, and other diagnoses

Hip and knee pain are often a result of poor pelvic muscle performance in combination with poor walking habits. This combination creates tracking problems in the hip socket or excessive rotation at...

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

Questions When Considering Medication for TGCTs
Tenosynovial giant cell tumors (TGCTs) are a rare type of benign tumor that grow in the synovium bursae, tendon sheath, and other tissues that make up...
Why does my shoulder blade stick out farther than normal?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A shoulder blade that sticks out is called a “winging” scapula. It usually means that there is w...
What is the difference between edema and effusion?
Edema is swelling that occurs outside a joint. Effusion is swelling within a joint. (This answer ...
What Is Tendonitis?
What Is Tendonitis?