Why do I see so many flaws when I look in the mirror?

Laura Katleman-Prue
Most of us look in the mirror through the eyes of the Critic (judgmental voices). As we look, we zero in on our problem areas: "Am I getting old? How do my thighs look? Is that a new wrinkle? Is my jaw line sagging?" The Critic sees flaws and, because all bodies are flawed in some way, mirrors are its perfect tool.

Once the Critic identifies your flaws, it urges you to imagine how others will see you. Then it comes up with a plan to fix you, fueled by the Dreamer's fantasies about being admired and the wonderful life you could have if you looked the way it tells you, you should. If you're suffering over what you see in the mirror, in that moment, you're identifying with the ego.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Body Image

Building a Better Body Image
Building a Better Body Image
Healthy bodies come in all shapes and sizes, but that doesn’t stop many of us from having a negative body image. According to Andrea Pennington, MD, a...
How do I appreciate a body part I am uncomfortable with?
Mr. Donovan GreenMr. Donovan Green
All of us have a body part that we can't change, due to genetics - but we should always appreciate t...
How can toys and cartoons affect my child's body image?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Barbie is just one example of how the media favors an unrealistic ideal when it comes to body sh...
Why Is It Important to Have a Positive Body Image?