Is the Barbie doll's body shape normal?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
At 5′9” tall and weighing 110 lbs, Barbie would have a BMI of 16.24 which is considered severely underweight. Because of her ridiculous proportions (39” bust, 18” waist, 33” thighs and size 3 shoes!), if she was a real woman, she wouldn’t be able to walk upright – she would have to walk on all fours.

Continue Learning about Body Image

Busy Woman's Guide: What I Learned About Being Naked
“Naked is trending and sexy right now,” was the marketing email subject line. No surprise there—from ads featuring barely covered naked celebs to tota...
What role does body image play in weight loss?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
It plays a HUGE role, and unfortunately not always a good one.  It can lead people to want to diet, ...
What's the impact of the media's objectification of women?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
The media eye, in its many different forms, objectifies all of us. The result? Many of us begin to o...
What Can a Woman Do to Be More Comfortable Seeing Herself Naked?