How do I appreciate a body part I am uncomfortable with?

Mr. Donovan Green
Athletic Training
All of us have a body part that we can't change, due to genetics - but we should always appreciate the great parts we do have. In this video, fitness expert Donovan Green explains how we can learn to recognize our strengths and accept our weaknesses.
Remember that we are a sum of our whole self, internal and external. Take inventory of what that body part can do. If you don’t like the size of your hips, remember that your hips power the movement of your body all day. They allow you to move freely, you can bounce your baby on them, hold a grocery bag, and put your hands on them when you need to stop fidgeting. Think about what would really change in your life if your hips were a different size or shape. Probably nothing of true and lasting value. Finally, take a moment for gratitude. There are millions of people in the world who would be thrilled if big hips were the biggest problem they faced. All that being said, a great diet and exercise program can help you feel great about the body you are in, and can even help you shape it to some extent. So, a combination of acceptance and action will help you appreciate all your amazing and capable parts!

Continue Learning about Body Image

Building a Better Body Image
Building a Better Body Image
Healthy bodies come in all shapes and sizes, but that doesn’t stop many of us from having a negative body image. According to Andrea Pennington, MD, a...
What is my ideal body size?
Jeremiah Forster, NASM Elite TrainerJeremiah Forster, NASM Elite Trainer
Also from my personal standpoint there is a gigantic difference between ideal body size for health a...
How can I get a body like a celebrity?
David BuerDavid Buer
This is a common question that I hear a lot. You can’t create a “celebrity body” outside the basic l...
Beth Oliver & Darren Treasure: Making Friends with your Body