How does lean body mass increase my metabolism?

Caroline J. Cederquist, MD
Family Medicine
Building lean muscle and maintaining it throughout our lifetime keeps our metabolism functioning optimally. In this video, bariatric medicine specialist Caroline Cederquist, MD, discusses how and why lean body mass works to increase metabolism.
Lean body mass is more “metabolically active” than fat, meaning that muscle burns more calories at rest than fat.  Two individuals that are the same height and weight can have very different metabolic rates, based on their body composition.  Lean body mass is one factor that we can control in order to increase our metabolism and burn more calories!

Continue Learning about Body Mass Index (BMI)

Body Mass Index (BMI)

Body Mass Index (BMI)

Body Mass Index, or BMI is the customary method used to measure obesity. It's a calculation of your weight-to-height ratio and can provide insight into risk for diseases. It's been shown that for every five-point increase in BMI, ...

your risk of death increases 31% and while BMI can't be used as a sole indicator for disease risk, it does help. It's one element of your wellness that helps you and your doctors manage your health.