The risk of contracting HIV, hepatitis, or bacterial infection from a blood transfusion is extremely low. When a transfusion is needed, the benefits of receiving blood outweigh the risk of contracting an infectious disease. If your doctor recommends a transfusion, ask about the benefits and risks.
- Q How safe are blood transfusions?
- Q What is a blood transfusion?
- Q How safe are blood transfusions for children?
- Q What are blood conservation strategies?
- Q What blood transfusion options do I have?
- Q Is a blood transfusion from a volunteer donor for cancer treatment safe?