The risk of contracting HIV, hepatitis, or bacterial infection from a blood transfusion is extremely low. When a transfusion is needed, the benefits of receiving blood outweigh the risk of contracting an infectious disease. If your doctor recommends a transfusion, ask about the benefits and risks.
- Q Do people need blood transfusions because of surgical complications?
- Q Why would a person need a red blood cell transfusion?
- Q What is different between whole blood and blood components transfusion?
- Q What blood transfusion options do I have?
- Q What do I need to know about blood transfusions for my baby in the NICU?
- Q Why would a person need a plasma transfusion?