What are the treatments for chronic myeloproliferative disorders?

Treatment for chronic myeloproliferative disorders depends on the type of disorder and any related symptoms. Some types are treated with chemotherapy and radiation therapy, which kill the extra blood cells. Other types are treated with a phlebotomy (a procedure which removes the blood intravenously) or red blood cell transfusion. Other treatments address the symptoms involved, like itchy skin and headaches. Surgery may be required to remove the spleen if it is swollen and painful.

Continue Learning about Blood Diseases

A Glossary of Terms to Help Understand ITP
When you are researching a health condition or talking to healthcare providers about a condition, it can be helpful to know some of the terminology. B...
5 Essential Facts About ITP
5 Essential Facts About ITP
ITP stands for immune thrombocytopenia, a blood disorder that causes a person to have low levels of blood platelets. Low platelet counts can cause a n...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hypocalcemia symptoms?
Hypocalcemia can cause debilitating symptoms in the long term, if left untreated. These symptoms can...
Is there a cure for sickle-hemoglobin C (Hb S-C) disease?
Yes, there is a cure for sickle-hemoglobin C (Hb S-C) disease, but it can be difficult to perform. T...