What injuries can cause blood clots?

Some injuries may lead to impaired movement, decreasing circulation throughout the body and increasing the likelihood that blood may clot.

Accidents and injuries that increase deep vein thrombosis (DVT) risk:

• serious falls
  • broken bones, especially in the pelvic area or legs
  • broken bones with a limb in a plaster cast
  • spinal cord injury
  • paralysis
  • severe burns
  • placement of a central venous catheter, especially when placed in the arm
  • repetitive motion injury from swimming, weight lifting, etc., increases the risk of blood clots in the arm

Continue Learning about Blood Clot (Thrombus)

5 Simple Steps To Improve Circulation in Your Legs
What does the shape of your hips or belly have to do with the health of your legs? Turns out, quite a bit. One study showed that during extended trav...
What are the symptoms of deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?
Symptoms of DVT include swelling, pain or tenderness, feeling of increased warmth in the affected ar...
What exercises help prevent blood clots?
What exercises help prevent blood clots? Exercises that promote circulation may help reduce your ris...
How do I avoid blood clots if I have to fly after major surgery?
Get up every half hour to walk about the cabin. Moving your leg muscles helps "pump" blood. Learn mo...