What injuries can cause blood clots?

Some injuries may lead to impaired movement, decreasing circulation throughout the body and increasing the likelihood that blood may clot.

Accidents and injuries that increase deep vein thrombosis (DVT) risk:

• serious falls
  • broken bones, especially in the pelvic area or legs
  • broken bones with a limb in a plaster cast
  • spinal cord injury
  • paralysis
  • severe burns
  • placement of a central venous catheter, especially when placed in the arm
  • repetitive motion injury from swimming, weight lifting, etc., increases the risk of blood clots in the arm
Dr. Irving B. David, MD
Cardiothoracic Surgeon

It’s easier to ask what types of injuries don’t cause clots! Any type of injuries can promote increased risk of blood clots. If you have an injury, you usually have swelling in the tissue that’s damaged, and there’s potentially bleeding. That constricts the vessels traveling through the tissues, which can promote clots inside the vessels.

Continue Learning about Blood Clot (Thrombus)

How Do I Know If I Have a Blood Clot?
How Do I Know If I Have a Blood Clot?
Twenty-four-year-old Spanish skateboarding star Danny León got made up to look like a not-so-steady-on-his-feet 80-year-old man. His goal: To see if t...
What is the Endovascular Photo Acoustic Recanalization Laser?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The Endovascular Photo Acoustic Recanalization laser, also known as the EPAR, is a device being stud...
What does it mean if my PT/INR test result is too high?
If your PT/INR test result is too high, it means that your blood is clotting too slowly, and you are...
Summer Road Trip Safety
Summer Road Trip Safety