What happens if blood clots are untreated?

If blood clots are left untreated there is a risk of the clot dislodging and going to the lungs. The most common site for a blood clot to develop is in the leg. If the clot travels from the leg to the lungs it can cause a pulmonary embolism. When this happens, it can cut off blood supply to a part of the lung, causing difficulty breathing. If the clot is large enough, it can cause a lot of lung and heart strain which can sometimes lead to death.

Continue Learning about Blood Clot (Thrombus)

How Do I Know If I Have a Blood Clot?
How Do I Know If I Have a Blood Clot?
Twenty-four-year-old Spanish skateboarding star Danny León got made up to look like a not-so-steady-on-his-feet 80-year-old man. His goal: To see if t...
What are the side effects of antiplatelet drugs?
Side effects of antiplatelet drugs may include bleeding, including serious bleeding into the stomach...
What is lysis therapy for deep vein thrombosis?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Lysis therapy is an approach in which vascular specialists deliver clot-dissolving drugs directly to...
Summer Road Trip Safety
Summer Road Trip Safety