What happens if blood clots are untreated?

If blood clots are left untreated there is a risk of the clot dislodging and going to the lungs. The most common site for a blood clot to develop is in the leg. If the clot travels from the leg to the lungs it can cause a pulmonary embolism. When this happens, it can cut off blood supply to a part of the lung, causing difficulty breathing. If the clot is large enough, it can cause a lot of lung and heart strain which can sometimes lead to death.

Continue Learning about Blood Clot (Thrombus)

How Do I Know If I Have a Blood Clot?
How Do I Know If I Have a Blood Clot?
Twenty-four-year-old Spanish skateboarding star Danny León got made up to look like a not-so-steady-on-his-feet 80-year-old man. His goal: To see if t...
Why do I need to get treatment for a blood clot?
When blood pools and clots within the veins, it can become a medical emergency if the clot break...
Why is deep vein thrombosis (DVT) a concern during pregnancy?
One of the most worrisome potential complications of pregnancy is deep-vein thrombosis (or DVT), whe...
Summer Road Trip Safety
Summer Road Trip Safety