Is deep vein thrombosis (DVT) dangerous?

Deep vein thrombosis is serious because it can lead to pulmonary embolism, a potentially fatal condition. Pulmonary embolism occurs when the blood clot in your leg, arm, or neck breaks apart and moves through the vein system through your heart and into the pulmonary artery in the lungs. This can block blood flow out of the heart to the rest of the body, resulting in death.

Continue Learning about Blood Clot (Thrombus)

5 Simple Steps To Improve Circulation in Your Legs
What does the shape of your hips or belly have to do with the health of your legs? Turns out, quite a bit. One study showed that during extended trav...
How do I avoid blood clots if I have to fly after major surgery?
Dr. Michael L. Schwartz, MDDr. Michael L. Schwartz, MD
If you have to fly after major surgery, you can reduce the risk of blood clots by exercising your le...
How is an acute pulmonary embolism treated?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Acute pulmonary emboli are treated with medication to thin the blood or dissolve the clot. For patie...
Summer Road Trip Safety
Summer Road Trip Safety