Is there a cure for deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

It is possible to cure  a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) by following a treatment plan of anticoagulants (medications), regular exercise of calf muscles throughout the day, and elastic support stockings. None of these treatment components, however, is designed to break up an existing blood clot, but rather to prevent it from growing and breaking away and blocking the artery in the lungs. If managed well, blood clots may break up on their own. If your doctor thinks there is a good chance of pulmonary embolism, you may receive intravenous (IV) thrombolytics (medication), which break up the blood clots.

Continue Learning about Blood Clot (Thrombus)

5 Simple Steps To Improve Circulation in Your Legs
What does the shape of your hips or belly have to do with the health of your legs? Turns out, quite a bit. One study showed that during extended trav...
What happens if my doctor detects clotting before cardioversion?
If your doctor detects signs of blood clots in your heart before you undergo cardioversion, then he ...
Does surgery increase my risk for blood clots?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Surgery increases your risk for blood clots. Hospitals and doctors are working to create other treat...
How can I lower the risk of developing a blood clot while flying?
If you fly a lot, you should get up and walk around every two hours, or move your feet with exercise...