Where do red blood cells get recycled in the body?

Red blood cells (RBCs) get recycled in the spleen. When RBCs are worn out, they head to the spleen. Once in the spleen, the RBCs and their hemoglobin are broken down and recycled. The body keeps the good parts and gets rid of the junk.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
What is meant by whole blood?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Whole blood is living tissue circulating through the heart, arteries, veins, and capillaries carryin...
What are the types of blood lipids and what do they do?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
The first blood lipid test that everyone is most familiar with is total cholesterol. This tells us t...