What should I do before donating blood?

Before donating blood you should maintain a healthy diet high in iron. On the day of the donation, drink an extra 16 ounces of non-alcoholic fluid and have a healthy meal. If you eat a meal high in fat, it can be challenging to test your blood for infectious diseases. If you are donating platelets, don't take aspirin two days prior to the donation. Remember to bring your ID.

Before donating blood, you should

1) Maintain a healthy diet and appropriate fluid intake.

2) Be aware of the name of any medications you are taking.

Usually, medication does not keep you from donating, but the reason for taking the medication might.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
What are the functions of blood?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
One of the most important functions of blood is the transportation of oxygen and nutrients to al...
How does the blood donation process work?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Donating a unit of blood takes about 45 to 60 minutes. Medical equipment is sterile, used only once,...