Can I donate blood if I have the sickle cell trait?

You are eligible to donate blood if you have the sickle cell trait.
Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you. 

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Should I provide my own donors?
Steven S. Scott, MDSteven S. Scott, MD
If you are going to have an operation and will have a significant chance of needing a blood transfus...
What happens if a patient receives the wrong blood type?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Blood type must be determined before blood is transfused into a patient to prevent a transfusion rea...