Does the body adjust to altitude changes?

Our bodies make adjustments at higher altitudes. They create more red blood cells to carry oxygen through our bloodstream, which pushes air into normally unused portions of the lungs and produces citrate synthase. Citrate synthase is an enzyme that helps the oxygen found in hemoglobin to make its way into body tissue.

High altitude also triggers an increase in our breathing, heartbeat and urination. Low air pressure and low humidity at high altitudes cause moisture from your lungs and skin to evaporate more quickly, and your body's increased exertion requires more water to remain hydrated.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
What are antiplatelet medications?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Antiplatelet therapy is designed to keep platelets from forming dangerous clots. It currently includ...
How does the blood donation process work?
The blood donation process starts when an individual registers to give blood. At the blood donation ...