What kind of blood is most commonly donated?

Blood and platelets are the most common kinds of donated blood . Besides donating blood for others, you can donate it for yourself before you have an operation. Donated blood is screened for abnormalities and disease and then is separated by blood type. It can be transplanted whole, or it can be separated into red blood cells, plasma or platelets.

The most commonly donated kind of blood is whole blood for use in other individuals, known as allogeneic blood, as opposed to autologous blood, which is collected from an individual for storage for later use in that same individual. While statistics are known about the percentage distribution of blood types (e.g., type A, B, AB and O, and Rh factor positive or negative), and they are collected about who donates blood (by age, gender, race, first-time vs. repeat donor, etc.), there do not seem to be statistics on whether people with certain types of blood donate more frequently than others. Type O blood is the most frequently needed and used blood because it is the "universal donor" blood type.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
What is meant by a universal blood donor?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Individuals with the blood group O Rh negative are called “universal donors” because their red blood...
Can I donate blood if I have an infection?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If you have a fever or an active infection, wait until the infection has resolved completely before ...