What causes your bladder to drop?

A dropped bladder, also called prolapsed bladder or cystocele, is a medical condition that affects the urinary bladder and the vagina. In women, the front wall of the vagina supports the bladder. Significant bodily stress such as childbirth can damage this part of the vaginal wall. If it deteriorates enough, the bladder can prolapse, meaning it is no longer supported and descends into the vagina. Other causes include aging, strenuous lifting, chronic coughing and chronic constipation which can weaken the pelvic muscles. Because a dropped bladder can interfere with the ability to control urinary function and cause uncomfortable symptoms that affect sexual function, proper treatment is important.

Continue Learning about Bladder Disease

Worst Case Scenario: I'm Holding It In
Worst Case Scenario: I'm Holding It In
Can holding your urine cause damage? Find out in this video from Dr. Oz. Medically reviewed in May 2018.
What is external sphincter insufficiency (ESD)?
Jill RabinJill Rabin
External sphincter insufficiency (ESD), the most common of the two types of stress incontinence, cau...
What is exstrophy in children?
Grace Hyun, MDGrace Hyun, MD
Exstrophy is an uncommon congenital bladder anomaly that results when the tissue making up the a...
What are the treatment options for bladder fistula?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Bladder fistulas almost always require surgery; nonsurgical therapy is usually not effective. Someti...