How should I take black cohosh?

Take black cohosh according to package directions or as directed by your doctor or herbal practitioner. Look for standardized extracts, tinctures and pill forms of this herb. The recommended dose of black cohosh ranges from 40 - 80 mg. (milligram) per day. Tablets of black cohosh should be standardized to contain one mg. of 27-deoxyactein per 20 mg. tablet; these pills should be swallowed with a full glass of water. Liquid forms of this herb should be measured in a dose-measuring dropper, cup or spoon; take two to four milliliters (ml.) of black cohosh in water or tea three times a day.

You can make a tea from 34 ounces of water mixed with 20 grams of dried black cohosh root. Bring this mixture to a boil and turn down to simmer until the liquid is reduced by a third (approximately 20 to 30 minutes). Strain the liquid, pour into a covered container and store in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours. Use a cup of this black cohosh tea three times per day.

There is no recommended dosage of black cohosh for children. Do not take different forms of this herb at the same time unless directed to do so by your doctor.

Continue Learning about Black Cohosh

How should I store black cohosh supplements?
The same storage rule applies to black cohosh supplements as to any other supplement: Keep them ...
Should I tell my doctor if I am taking black cohosh?
Talk to your doctor about all medications, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, supplements and herbs, ...
Who should not take black cohosh?
The following cautions should be considered before using black cohosh: Situations in which use of...
Who should take black cohosh?
The primary use of black cohosh is to treat menopausal symptoms including hot flashes, night sweats,...