If I drank alcohol early in my pregnancy but quit, will it harm my baby?

The most important thing is that you have completely stopped drinking after learning of your pregnancy. It is never too late to stop drinking. The sooner you stop, the better the chances for your baby’s health. It is not possible to know what harm might have been done already. Some women can drink heavily during pregnancy and their babies do not seem to have any problems. Others drink less and their babies show various signs of alcohol exposure. Many body parts and organs are developing in the first few weeks of pregnancy (weeks 3 to 8). This is the time when most women do not know they are pregnant. The best advice is to try not to be alarmed, talk to your doctor about this, and be sure to receive routine prenatal care throughout your pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

What is iniencephaly?
Iniencephaly is a rare birth defect caused by improper closure of the neural tube (the part of a hum...
What is a teratoma?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A teratoma is a kind of tumor that resembles a malformed fetus. Although it is sometimes mistaken fo...
How common is cleft lip?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
The cleft lip occurs in approximately 1 in 700 babies born in the world. It is the fourth leading bi...
What is alcohol-related neurodevelopmental disorder?
Alcohol-related neurodevelopmental disorder (ARND) is a type of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FAS...