How are cleft lip and cleft palate treated?

Cleft lip and cleft palate can be surgically treated. After the cleft lip and cleft palate have been repaired the child may also under go speech therapy. 
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Both a pediatrician and plastic surgeon are involved in the treatment of a cleft lip and palate. The timing is normally about 10 weeks of age. At this time the rule of tens pertains to hemoglobin of 10, and 10 weeks of age. This early age of cleft lip repair is important for feeding early on of the infant. The cleft palate is normally repaired later between 12 and 18 months of age. 

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

What is schizencephaly?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Schizencephaly is an extremely rare developmental birth defect characterized by abnormal slits, or c...
What are fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD)?
Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASDs) are a group of conditions that can occur in a person whose ...
How can I help prevent a birth defect in my baby if I am pregnant?
The number one way to prevent birth defects in your baby when you are pregnant is to get regular pre...
If I drank alcohol early in my pregnancy but quit, will it harm my baby?
The most important thing is that you have completely stopped drinking after learning of your pregnan...