How are cleft lip and cleft palate treated?

Cleft lip and cleft palate can be surgically treated. After the cleft lip and cleft palate have been repaired the child may also under go speech therapy. 
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Both a pediatrician and plastic surgeon are involved in the treatment of a cleft lip and palate. The timing is normally about 10 weeks of age. At this time the rule of tens pertains to hemoglobin of 10, and 10 weeks of age. This early age of cleft lip repair is important for feeding early on of the infant. The cleft palate is normally repaired later between 12 and 18 months of age. 

Continue Learning about Birth Defects

What is dextrocardia with situs solitus?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
In dextrocardia with situs solitus, a congenital condition, the heart is on the right side of the ch...
If I drank alcohol early in my pregnancy but quit, will it harm my baby?
The most important thing is that you have completely stopped drinking after learning of your pregnan...
Is it safe to drink wine coolers and beer while I am pregnant?
All drinks containing alcohol can hurt an unborn baby, even beer and wine coolers. A standard drink ...
What is situs ambiguus, also known as situs ambiguous?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Situs ambiguous is a condition in which the liver and stomach, which normally appear on the right an...