What are the different types of bipolar disorder?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

There are three main types of bipolar disorder. Bipolar I disorder is characterized by frequent and disruptive mood swings with severe depression and mania. Bipolar II disorder has less severe mood swings than Bipolar I disorder. In this case, a person experiences hypomania rather than extreme mania and longer periods of mild depression. Cyclothymia is even more mild, with less severe mood highs and lows. Besides these, a person who exhibits bipolar symptoms without qualifying for a full bipolar diagnosis is classified as Bipolar Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

when is bipolar disorder most likely to occur ?
Bipolar disorder can start at any time but at least half of the cases present around age 25. It ...
will bipolar disorder worsen if untreated ?
If left untreated, bipolar disorder can worsen. Most people with bipolar disorder are likely to seek...
what is the relationship between bipolar disorder and insomnia ?
Dr. Michael Berk, PhDDr. Michael Berk, PhD
In hypomania (and in mania) the principle difference is that the person who is experiencing hypomani...
what is a euthymic state in bipolar disorder ?
Thomas JensenThomas Jensen
The mood state that we want a bipolar person to spend as much time as possible in is the euthymic st...