What is the rate of incidence for bipolar I disorder?

This depends a bit on the study and the definition of bipolar I disorder. Generally, it is felt to affect about 1% of the population.
Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry

In the 2009 CANMAT guidelines that outline treatment for mood and anxiety disorders, it's estimated that 1.0% of people experience bipolar I disorder; 1.1% experience bipolar II; and 2.4% of people have "subthreshold" bipolar - in other words, they have symptoms, but not enough to meet the diagnostic criteria for bipolar I or II.

If you think you may have bipolar disorder, go to www.dbtforbipolar.com to complete the Mood Disorder Questionnaire, a screening tool that can tell you if you may have bipolar; and seek medical assistance to discuss your symptoms.

Less than 4 percent of people in the United States experience a kind of bipolar disorder. Men and women are equally likely to be diagnosed with bipolar disorder. The manifestation of symptoms, however, does vary within the affected population; women are more likely to experience bipolar depression, while men are more likely to have manic episodes.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder