Q

Bipolar Disorder

What is the rate of incidence for bipolar I disorder?

• A , Psychiatry, answered

In the 2009 CANMAT guidelines that outline treatment for mood and anxiety disorders, it's estimated that 1.0% of people experience bipolar I disorder; 1.1% experience bipolar II; and 2.4% of people have "subthreshold" bipolar - in other words, they have symptoms, but not enough to meet the diagnostic criteria for bipolar I or II.

If you think you may have bipolar disorder, go to www.dbtforbipolar.com to complete the Mood Disorder Questionnaire, a screening tool that can tell you if you may have bipolar; and seek medical assistance to discuss your symptoms.

• This depends a bit on the study and the definition of bipolar I disorder. Generally, it is felt to affect about 1% of the population.
  • Less than 4 percent of people in the United States experience a kind of bipolar disorder. Men and women are equally likely to be diagnosed with bipolar disorder. The manifestation of symptoms, however, does vary within the affected population; women are more likely to experience bipolar depression, while men are more likely to have manic episodes.

This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Is there a cure for bipolar I disorder?